Thursday, May 30, 2013

Food For Thought...I'd Like Fries With That

Fast food works across the land have been striking for a $15 a hour wage.  It is either a sign that there are really no good jobs left in the land or education is too expensive or both.  Then again, it could be that there aren't any good paying jobs for folks that will never get ahead.  Whatever the reason, most current fast food employees wouldn't cut it as $15 a hour fast food employees for two reasons.  More would be expected of a $15 a hour employee and second the labor cost would drive automation, imagine a legion of burgerbots making perfect 1/3 pound rat and kangaroo burgers for now unemployed former fast food employees to eat.  Seriously speaking it is a problem, I can remember my fast food days, when I was making $3.35 a hour.  I would watch people having to decide between welfare and a job, and nearly always choosing welfare because it paid better.  I am sure that hasn't changed and probably it has gotten worse since my days.  Another thing that hasn't changed, the motivated will find a way out.

No comments: