Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Rattlesnake

Living out here in North Bend, is wonderful, we are surrounded by iconic mountains, rushing rivers and beautiful green forests. But it seems that each year around June 1st we are reminded of dangers of the great outdoors. In the four years we have lived here, there have been drownings and mountain tragedies. The dangers that are inherent to visiting the great outdoors, should make one scared to venture out, content to look at all our beauty through a nice double pane window. But the beauty draws us out, and with risks weighed against the reward, we venture out from the indoors to nature and chance and natural selection (or divine will, if you rather).
Today we have received news that a young person has died on the Rattlesnake Ledge, a victim of a slip and 400 foot fall. This news polarizes two camps of thought, one says, why eating another bag of chips, that this is another good reason not to leave home. The other camp, will continue to allow nature to seduce them, but with a bit more vigor and they have been reminded that the end is always near. Which camp are you?
Here's a photo of the Ledge from Rattlesnake Lake.

2 comments:

jerrie said...

I am reading this while wearing the riding pants that make me look like I know what I am doing in the saddle. My two friends and I will be joining the venture into the deadly enticements of nature with the added bonus of doing it on the back of an unpredictable piece of nature herself - our overfed and infrequently ridden horses. I'll let you know if I make it back. Before we go, we will fortify ourselves on steak and potato chips.

Dan Williams said...

steak and potato chips are very good way to fortify prior to vigorous enjoyment of nature. I myself close a meatloaf and bacon sandwich prior to our adventure to the "flaming" geyser