Monday, September 19, 2011

Ouch

So originally in honor of the ankle I turned, that has resulted in the most painful experience in the last 25 years, I was going to spend tonight waxing on about injuries.  Instead I noticed that today was the 16th anniversary of the end of baseball in Seattle.
It was September 1995, and the Mariners were winning I was excited about the game and the team.  I guess I should back up a bit, to August 1994, New York City was the place and the Yankees were going to be playing a home series against, I don't know, but playing at home.  I was in New York City, it was a hot and muggy, I have rueful memories of August 12th.  I could have gone to a Yankees game, I could have seen the house that Ruth built, instead a strike.  I returned from Europe and the strike was still on.  I moved half way across the state and strike was still on and worse the World's Series was cancelled.  I was done with baseball, not even Ken Burns Baseball could keep my love light shining.  I had loved the game since the 2nd grade, but I was now done.
Anyway September 19, 1995, actually it was September 20th, whatever.  September 20th, 1995, I remember walking down stairs to Main Street, Ellensburg, WA and looking at the headlines in the paper, the special Mariners vote for a new stadium had been defeated.  They were leaving it appeared.  It seemed so cruel, they were finally a good team and they were leaving.  Finally, my love for the game had returned, but they were leaving.  I felt frustrated and sad, like after a girl suddenly breaks up with you.  I remember being pretty down for a while, but then deciding that I would enjoy it while I could .  I always, say that it was Griffey, Buhner, Edger, et al that gave me back my love of the game.  But really I need to include Mike Lowry, who railroaded a bill through a special legislative session to allow for the building of Safeco Field.  Tonight a glass of scotch for ol' Mike Lowry the man who saved baseball, for me at least.
Dan

No comments: