Friday, September 2, 2011

Rodeo Weekend

Here at America's Finest Blog, we have always taken time to look at bad photos, or mis-labeled photos, photos that loosely relate to my ramblings and photos that really have nothing to do with my ramblings.  Tonight we'll focus on some mis-labeled photos.  These photos are said to be of the Ellensburg Rodeo, but actually are from the Kitsap County Fair.  Believe me I would have loved to see Rodeo pics from the 50's, but oh well.  What this does do for me, is give me a chance to ramble on about the rodeo.  Or specifically the Rodeo Weekend, since I haven't ever been to the rodeo. 
The Ellensburg Rodeo and County Fair occur over Labor Day weekend and locals referred to it as Rodeo Weekend.  I have some fond memories of Rodeo Weekend, like watching the cowboys in their trucks roll down Main Street at 4 AM, one warm morning.  A midget in lederhosen and pointy green hat, walking out of the Chinese restaurant.  Shooting pool with bikers, drinking a lot of beer (purchased at local prices, not 206er cowboy prices).  Walking the alleys with a friend, looking for people to hang out with and finding just about the craziest old man in the neighborhood.  The guy had in his yard four lawn chairs, three garbage cans, two of which had beer and ice in them and the third for empties and the best stereo you could purchase at the Bi-Mart.  I'll spare the details of the conversation, there were four topics; Hank Williams, women, drugs and guns.  I remember the general chaos throughout the town that started about 3 PM on Friday and didn't abate until late afternoon on Monday.  Then there were Ted's anti-Rodeo parties, which always featured Dave Nelson eventually sleeping on the couch on Ted's porch.  Finally, there was one sight you could always count on, four overweight guys wearing matching denim shirts, and pristine white 10 gallon cowboy hats, rolling through town squeezed into a sub-compact.  True story, well maybe not matching denim shirts.  You couldn't help but laugh.   

1 comment:

jerrie said...

That looks like Jim on his horse in the third picture. I don't remember seeing these before.