Sunday, February 26, 2012

March of Time

I have previously blogged about this date in 1886 when the first Northern Pacific train from North Yakima reached Ellensburg.  In that post, I spoke of sitting down by the rail yard and enjoying the West.  Something that did not cross my mind back in the days down by the tracks and even when I wrote my previous post on this event, was time.  Time prior to the arrival of the train was specific to your place on earth.  Where you stood with relation to the sun told you when it was high noon.  Once the train arrived, towns like Ellensburg were now on Northern Pacific time and the railroad's time suddenly was all that mattered.  You wonder were there grumpy old curmudgeons across the landscape stubbornly holding onto actual local time years after the arrival of the railroads, even if it was now incorrect?

2 comments:

Cicely said...

You blogged in 1886?

jerrie said...

I have enjoyed the history you have shared in these latest blogs. And actually, Dan is correct with the modifying preposition being located next to the direct object which it is clarifying.