Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Post Election Haze

The post election haze, sits upon me tonight, so just a couple random thoughts and then a random picture or two. First thing that comes to mind is how this state is basically run by the voters of King County, which I suppose is alright, however it seems that the voters from King County are not always very well informed. Second, mail in voting it stupid, I know the old ladies that manned the polling places for centuries are dying off in alarming numbers, but still polling places were community gathering points and it made voting an event. Voting at your kitchen table isn't fun, going to the Grange Hall and going into a little booth was at least genuine. Sometimes the old folks had cookies and coffee for the voters. After voting folks would sometimes chat for a bit. Polling placing allowed you to go places you normally would not, I think the only time I ever returned to my High School was to vote. Parents took children to the polls, I remember my mom voting and not allowing me to watch her vote, voting was private after all. I took Quin when I voted, but I let him watch. And I remember 1992, at the Fremont Baptist Church waiting in long lines to vote, it exciting, and it didn't matter if it took 90 minutes to vote, we were there that night to have our voices heard and to make a change. We were a community. You just cannot have a community at your kitchen table. However at your kitchen table you may have a plant and bowl of fruit or something similar. Back in the old days, when trying real hard to use up film at the end of a roll, those plants and objects became still lifes. Here are a couple examples.
RIP Voters Booth
Dan

1 comment:

jerrie said...

I think this is perhaps one of your best blog posts. I love it and agree heartily. Yes, plants do look nice on the table.