Friday, April 23, 2010

A Changing Valley

I have had the last couple days off of work, the sad remnant of what as to be a spring vacation for the family and I. For various reasons that didn't happen, so today the boy and I went around the valley and checked out the work on the big sewer project. Big fun, I know and yes I do know I am lucky. Well I must say the kid had a blast, watching the heavy machinery at work. I was struck by the shambles that this making of the east end of the valley. The roads are all cut up, its either muddy or dusty depending on the weather, progress I suppose they call it. Progress is a couple new subdivisions and word on the street is that guy who owns the site of the old Tanner Mill wants to go big box there. Personally if I wanted to live in Covington, I would have moved there. We live in a beautiful semi-rural valley, the last flat spot before the Cascades. Rich in history and landmarks. We should be celebrating the history of the upper valley, we should be celebrating Mt. Si, Rattlesnake Mountain, Rattlesnake Lake, Meadowbrook Farm, the Railroad and all the falls, famous or otherwise. What will be the point of climbing Mt. Si, if all you will look down upon is sprawl. Growth is good, if it is the right growth, instead of big box, why not light industry or warehousing. Bring in good paying jobs, not minimum wage jobs, not shelves of cheap plastic crap from China. Growth in housing is good too, if it is right, small lots and cheep houses are not the answer, bigger lots and more expensive homes are, let us draw people with money to spend. We need to choose between being another freeway town, or being something unique. The former is the easy way and what our town's elected officials seem to prefer, which I can understand, but still it disappoints me. One must think that at some point in the 21st century progress will mean not turning your field into a subdivision. Tonight the price of progress, a beautiful field now a subdivision in the making.
Dan

No comments: