Sunday, April 11, 2010

Operation Mother Goose and Mom

So today is Mom's birthday, I wasn't going to say anything about it, let slip on by. But I decided I should say something about it and I will, but later. Actually when I say that I wasn't going to say anything about it, that's probably not true as it makes for a quick and easy blog entry. That was before I realized today is a black day, a day of infamy. On this date in 1968, men from the Washington State Department of Game and U.S. Bureau of Sport Fisheries and Wildlife gathered 1200 Canadian Goose eggs to reintroduce the birds to former habitats and to introduce them to new habitats. This yet another example of the government trying to run the earth and we suffer the unforeseen consequences of a bad idea. You see geese were not common or native to the Puget Sound prior to the 1960's, its Operation Mother Goose that probably brought these foul fowls to our neck of the woods. Actually woods should be lack of woods, Canadian Geese like open spaces like Eastern Washington. The greater Puget Sound area for most it's history has been a big old forest. But thanks to Operation Mother Goose and urbanization, the Puget Sound area is now perfect for geese. We the people are of course the losers here, the goose dump fouls our water, so no swimming at the beaches come summer time. And of course any green grass at a park should avoided at all cost, due to the goose mines.
In honor of Operation Mother Goose a picture of my mother and a goose. speaking of my mother, today is the tenth anniversary of her last birthday. I remember calling her in the hospital to wish her a happy birthday. It wasn't exactly a happy moment, in fact there was a certain absurdity about it, wishing a happy birthday to somebody who would be dead soon, it was almost a formality. Although, I remember not thinking anything of, until the words came from my mouth. Ten years though, it is really hard to believe, it seems like it shouldn't have been that long ago. We always are living in the past or future, my do we ever waste so much time.
Dan

1 comment:

kenech said...

spooky blog,dude.happy birthday to you mom.would love u to become one of my followers at http://kenechworld.blogspot.com.regards.