Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Consequences of Unforeseen Events

I was going to spend my entire time waxing on about the City of Dayton and what a great place it is to visit and maybe even live. Then Dave Niehaus left us, bringing an exclamation point to terrible year in sport and in some cases life. 34 years Niehaus was the voice of the Mariners, his voice seemed to always be there, throughout all the challenges and changes in my life there was his voice. As child when I didn't know the game, other than on baseball cards there was Niehaus. I didn't really get him in those days either truth be told. Then through my teens and twenties before the strike. And then after the strike, when his voice and that team brought me back to the game and created an unending love for it, and in the last few years, listening knowing that time would one day take him away, listening taking it in just in case. When I heard the news today, it ruined my day, like having a semi-distance uncle or other relative die. He was not a plastic Fox Sports announcer, he was genuine and the game will never be the same without him. Somewhere the children are laughing and the sun shines bright, but there is no joy in Mudville tonight.
So waxing about Dayton is more difficult when an event such as this occurs, Dayton seems to be a wonderful place, mostly because it is genuine, it doesn't seem to be anything more than a small town in a small unpopulated county. But there is good food, nice people, nice hotels and the people are really are proud of their town. Probably since they work in the town and they know each other. And instead of keeping to themselves them seem very willing to allow you into fold (probably because they know you are leaving). I find myself missing that place, oddly enough. I was there in June, thanks to my wife, and have be dreaming up ways to get back there ever since. And if I do I'll drink in all in, just in case.
Dan

No comments: