Friday, November 19, 2010

My Jetson's Lifestyle

As a kid, I lived in the olden times of American cars with acres of American steel, chrome and vinyl tops. And as kid in those times we were sold on an idea of a future of clean living and space travel. Large cars replaced by flying cars and Jetson-like high rises. Well that didn't happen, instead we drive smaller cars that are mostly plastic and there is no Jetson-like high rises or clean air. And we have given up space travel.
Those olden days were during the cold war and maybe we were sold this idea as a way to look forward to the future and to say the best is yet to come. For years now, since the end of the cold war, we have been told basically this is as good as it gets and in fact its only going to get worse. Sometimes I wonder if it is harder to grow up living with a threat and dreaming of a better place or growing up without threats and being told that this is probably as good as it going to get.
I really don't know the answer, but I do know that in life, as you grow, you probably more grown up than you realize. I heard a couple comments today made me stop that consider something. You do and say things throughout life that you will do as a, "Grown up," that in fact you are acting grown up at a much earlier age than you probably remember. Not important things, but mundane things, the stuff that 99.9% of the time isn't even considered. But yet, once they appear in your person makeup, they will always be there one way or another. Even if you have forgotten about it from time to time. No I have really no idea what I am talking about.
Speaking though of forgetting. I submitted a photo to a local paper back in February for a photo contest and didn't win, but got the photo published in the paper, which was kinda neat. Well, a couple day's ago while waiting for a meatloaf sandwich, I noticed the Fall/Winter visitor's guide for the valley and started thumbing through it and much to my surprise was my photo, representing Snoqualmie. Apparently not good enough to win a contest, but iconic enough to represent a town. I suppose if I was leading a Jeston's lifestyle, I would not have landed to take that photo, nor would I have stopped to get a meatloaf sandwich, as my robot maid would have cooked the family dinner.
A couple words on the photo, tonight is an alternate version, to see the version in the visitor's guide, check out the Feb 17th post entitled, "It's in Print."
Dan

1 comment:

theo d said...

just think if you hadn't gotten that meatloaf sandwich.