Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Rust In Peace

About ten years ago I bought a 1984 VW Vanwagon Campmobile or better known as a Westphalia.  It was my second Westphalia, the first was a 1974.  The 1984 was a big upgrade, it had nearly three times more horse power than the 1974, it was water cooled and everything worked.  I bought it so, I could go on a road trip with my girlfriend at the time Cicely.  That trip was a lot of fun.  Vans are a blast to drive, it's motoring to be more exact, you can't get anywhere fast.  You just putt along bent over the wheel, with your resting at 7 and 4 and your hands up around 12 o'clock.  After awhile I sold my van to a good friend and he drove it for another 6 years.  Every time I saw it, I secretly wished it was still mine, he loved the thing, even though it was getting a bit long in the tooth.  Today he was driving back from Olympia from his brother's wedding and he snapped a belt.  That led to series of events that resulted in the van catching fire just outside North Bend.  Thanks to a couple truckers, the damage isn't as bad as it could be, but the old thing is likely done.  A sad day indeed. 

No comments: