Friday, June 8, 2012

No No Man

Tonight, I was going blog about the recent trip to Utah, instead something quite wonderful happened.  The M's threw a combined no hitter.  For those who don't know what that is, I'll explain.  A combined no hitter is a baseball game in which two things happen, first a team is held hit-less for the duration of a nine or more inning game and second it takes more than one pitcher to do it.  This has happened only 10 times, there have been 276 no hitters combined or by a single pitcher.  To give you an idea how rare this is there have been about 400,000 Major League games since the founding of the National League in 1876.  I have watched or listened to significant portions of 4 no hitters including Kevin Millwood's no-hitter when he was with the Phillies, Millwood started tonight's game for M's.  As a kid I watched Nolan Ryan no-hit the Dodgers on the Saturday Game of the Week on NBC, I remember turning on the game in middle innings.  I listened to the last 2 or 3 innings of Chris Bosio's no-hitter for the M's against the Redsox, from my cubical at my accounts payable job with Nordstrom.  Then there was a Millwood's no-hitter with the Phillies, which I watched with Cicely from the box seats down the left field line in Safeco Field one sunny Sunday morning.  We had been woken up very early and were annoyed by the dogs (we were dog-sitting), so we went for a drive and ended up in Georgetown and then we pasted Safeco and I said lets go to a game.  Once inside the big screen were showing Millwood's game.  Then tonight the first time, I have watched a no-hitter for start to finish.  Whereas, I enjoy watch games from my family room, I wish I could have been there.  Oh well, tonight photos from Georgetown on the day Kevin Millwood through a nine inning no-hitter.
Enjoy
Dan

No comments: