Saturday, July 26, 2008

Ellensburg, Circa 1999


I took these photos back in 1999, on a sunny summer's evening. Ellensburg seemed to be a more innocent place back before, Fred Meyer and bikini espresso bars. I miss that place, new Ellensburg seems more suburban, like Monroe, but without a racetrack. I guess the rodeo grounds will do. It's as if, it does want to admit to what it really is, a small college town, in a rural county. Instead, they believe the carpetbaggers and confidence men that have swung into town and told them suburban Monroe or worse yet Yakima is a goal, not a pitfall.
Still there are good people trying to keep Ellensburg unique and real, so I wish them the best of luck. So, next you are heading east on I-90, stop in to Ellensburg, pass on by the bikini espresso and stop into the Tav and have a brew and a Supermother and then check out the Clymer and Gallery One or an Antique store.
Enjoy
Dan

No comments: