Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Grandma-Great

This is my great grandmother (my mom's, dad's mother), who we called grandma-great. I think it was my older sister who coined the name. Anyway she was a very small lady with a very thick German accent, from time to time she scared me. I remember not understanding a word she said, I was very young back then.
I do recall receiving a rosary from her when I was 4 or 5 years old, but most of all, I can remember going to West Seattle to visit her in the "home," with its' bright hallway, and its' linoleum floors reflecting the light back to the celling. In that hallway, I can still see her and three other very old ladies with walkers comings toward me, oohing and ahhing. It was a frightening moment, I wanted to run from them, but my parents pushed me forward. That may have been the last time I saw her.
In the end, she was a kind women and she smiled whenever she saw us.
This photo is from 1973.
Dan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful words you wrote. I got to know her better before the rest home. She had an orange tree in her jungle of a living room and shrines in her garden. I think she gave me a set of plastic nun dolls for Christmas one year. I still have them. What amazes me about this photo is the lepard print coat. Now that was unexpected.