Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

You know this is a very special day in American history. However one theory would say that in a truly colorblind society, President Obama's skin color and heritage is meaningless. So, I suppose this event highlights in a way just how far America is from that glorious day (although it is closer than it was yesterday). Aside from that, it also is a very special day, when 2 million Americans descend upon Washington to celebrate hope and a chance for change. To me this is why we should be remember this day. I didn't go to Washington or even skip work to watch the event, however I did DVR it so I could watch it, the crowds were quite impressive.
I have only taken the time to watch one Inauguration in real time, Clinton's first back in 1993. I don't really remember too much about 1993, other than Bill spoke longer than Henry Harrison, my friends and I were happy to see George Sr. retire and there was a really bad windstorm in Seattle. In fact it is the windstorm I remember most. After Bill finished talking I went out to Shoreline to go to school, I remember dodging falling trees and electrical wires and wondering if it was really safe to be outside. I remember thinking the same thing driving home. The power was out everywhere in Fremont that day except on my street so I was able to get my car in and out of the garage at my apartment building, so that was nice.
In other news, my brother in law had his first cancer treatment today, so hang in there Karl.
After all this blah blah about cancer and the Inaugurations, what photograph should be featured today. I don't have anything from the windstorm or any inauguration, or for that matter cancer treatment. So instead I give you a man holding an infant, view this moment within the context of boundless hope, something today has been all about.
Enjoy
Dan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nod, Dan.