Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Into Dust

So today is a rather sad day for baseball fans and Seattlites. First a botched call cost a Detroit Tiger pitcher a perfect game and will doubtlessly lead to instant replay in baseball. It's sadder day for the greater baseball loving world as instant replay will ruin the game. It is fitting then that on this day the greatest pure human to ever play the game stepped away. Ken Griffey Jr. was possibly the most nature baseball player ever or at least since the end of the WWII. Not since Dimaggio had a player moved about a field with such effortlessness and grace. Then there was the swing and his smile, national treasures. He saved baseball in Seattle once in the 1990's and possibly again in 2009. He was both terribly frustrating and a joy to watch. I can't tell how many times I was left cussing at the T.V., after he waved his bat at a 0-2 curve ball. Especially 0-2 curve balls thrown by Paul Assenmacher. I disliked Assenmacher and I waited for years to hear the gleeful report that he had elbow problems, it never happened. Instead Griffey broke our hearts by demanding to be traded and then being shipped to the Reds. I remember telling my mom I think we'll be okay.
Griffey, along with Edgar and Buhner saved baseball for me, in 1995 I had sworn off the game after the strike of 94. Something wonderful happened in August, September and October of that year, I was taken in hook, line and sinker. I didn't mind one bit. Those fellows are gone now, into dust and the historical stat page on MLB.com. For the last one and third baseball seasons, I have told my son to stop and watch Griffey, because ever know when he could do something special.
Its over now and I'm glad, Mr. Griffey wasn't the Kid anymore, this season was tough to watch, the swing was slow and the magic gone. He reminded me of watching Willie McCovey back in 1980, a revered and beloved relic, but not a baseball player anymore. They say baseball was designed to break your heart and today in Detroit and Seattle proved it once again.
Tonight a sunset and after a period of darkness there will be another sunrise.

2 comments:

jerrie said...

Your eloquence is a pleasure to consume. You must write a book. I'll buy it; I promise.

jerrie said...

Your eloquence once again leaves me hoping you will write a book. I promise I will buy it no matter what the topic.