Sunday, December 12, 2010

A Drawback of the Christmas Season

We went searching for the perfect Christmas gift today, or something like that. Really I am not sure what we were doing. Anyway I watched my boy try to be as good a kid as possible for as long as possible while his mother mostly, looked at this and that. Occasionally he would come across a toy or game or shiny object and ask if we could buy it, showing that he is the ultimate impulse buyer. Every time I would say, "But son, Christmas is coming soon." Thinking about it this evening, I can now remember back to my youth and hearing the same thing over and over. The time between Halloween and Christmas was a arid desert of toy receiving back in the Williams' home. It just didn't exist, my parents would cease buying everything for us. It was a real sad for a small boy, but I suppose it made Christmas more awesome, because you finally got something, besides unconditional love, three meals a day, a warm home and later, cable T.V. Tonight's photo is of me, celebrating getting stuff, in particular a slot car set, that promptly broke minutes after the photo was taken. I know I felt the same way the boy did today. I vaguely remember it, but photo confirms, the dry season tries you like nothing else. Especially when you are very young.
Dan

No comments: