Friday, December 3, 2010

Neon

Today is the 100th anniversary of the neon light as we know it. It is one of those things that we may consider a bit dated. But back in 1910 at the Paris Car Show, which in and of itself probably was an unique event for the time, the crimson glow of a neon light would have been astonishing. Now it's considered "retro." It's like radio or T.V. or the telephone amazing technology but be taken for granted. My son will never know a world without a wireless phone and the phones I have now will be quaint antiques by the time he is in the intermediate grades in elementary school. We can only image what wireless devices will look like when he is my age. The difference between my phone and neon light is, the neon light is still cool 100 years on, my phone won't be.

No comments: