Friday, August 12, 2011

Jack

Recently I heard that Jack had passed on.  Jack owned The Tav.  The Tav is home to the Super Mother and many a college aged person, in Ellensburg.  For 5 years I went to The Tav, in fact my first and last days in Ellensburg I spent there.  I saw Jack often, either cooking in the kitchen or drinking Rainiers at the end of the bar.  I had  a couple conversations with him over the years and always had a, "hi how you doing."  One conversation sticks out, it was Rodeo Weekend in Ellensburg and I managed to get into The Tav to experience the absurdites, there were lines to get into the bars on Rodeo Weekend.  I found a buddy of my at a small table with Jack and the other cook/city councilman Jeff (?).  My buddy told me to have a seat and handed me a glass.  After the greetings we sat and drank Rainier and talked, well Jack talked.  I cannot tell you what the converation was about, the noise in the Bar made it impossible.  I can tell you that Jack laughed and laughed, and would slap me on the back and we would all laugh some more.  I will always have a fond place for that moment, we were just four locals in a sea of Western Washington new country cowboys, strangers in a place we called home.   
Goodbye Jack, I hope the Rainiers are cold in the sweet bye and bye.

No comments: