Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Vacation Time Again

All my life, the second week of August has meant family vacation time.  It was like that as a kid and now it is like that with a family.  Not that I couldn't go on vacation in June or October or something, I could, well I think I could.  Anyway never mind.  August vacation time has some fond memories and almost all of them have to do with the ocean.  As a kid going to Ocean Shores, or as an adult going to Cannon Beach or driving down the coast or going to San Diego. 
As a kid, it was always the same, staying at the Royal Pacific, and getting in the swimming pool with my sisters and Dad, playing for hours in the sand.  I can remember going to the beach by myself to dig in the sand when I was 8 or 9 years old.  I always got to sleep on the hide a bed in the front room.  There was the Coffee shop at the Ocean Shores Inn and then there was put put golf.  Oh and driving on the beach, the ultimate expression of a Washingtonian.
I remember going to Ocean Shores after my Mom passed away, the place was different and not as nice, it had changed, the flea trap motels were gone, the Royal Pacific was gone.  The innocence of youth had passed on, or at least it seemed. 
Now we don't go to Ocean Shores, we enjoy Cannon Beach, Oregon.  Now while I get to enjoy the sublime ocean sunsets, I also get to watch my son enjoy the ocean through his eyes.

No comments: