Sunday, February 10, 2013

More Really!?

I just read an article that says that kindergartners are lacking in math skills.  Being a father of a kindergartner, I wasn't shocked and I wasn't shock by the statement in the piece that noted we expect more from kindergartners than ever before.  What did perplex me some was the statement many kindergarten children are scoring at 3 year old math levels.  By using the term "scoring," this implies someplace that 3 year olds are being give math tests.  That seems wrong on many levels.  The article also suggests more "school" be involved in preschool.
I am old fashioned, I am out of step, I am apparently completely insane, because I have this idea that children should be given at least sometime in their lives to be children.  I have a hard time believing that the human race will be better off giving 3 year olds standard math tests.  I say this even though I know, various high tech manufacturing and software companies in the state want more more math, science and computer skills taught to our kiddies.  Which on it's face is a nice idea, however if you want a forth grader to learn more science, I would suggest that instead of replacing social studies or music, or art or PE to teach it, how about we find actual teachers that can teach the subject properly.  After all, what good is four and half hours of science taught to you by a person that is better suited to teach you spelling, Palmer cursive and potato stamp art.  Other than the cost, won't one hour of really good science taught by a person that gets it and can teach it, be better than four and half hours of the other?
Cost of course is the problem, those higher tech companies that are pushing for the publicly funded K-12 vo tech for their job pool, really don't want to pay for it and a more disciplined structure of math and science first, will possibly create a better employee that doesn't think for to much for themselves.  This whole thing seems rather like A Brave New World to me, as if we will only stand for free thinking for the very elite or the those too inferior to take tech jobs.

1 comment:

jerrie said...

You are speaking my language!