Monday, March 16, 2009

So Long Post Intelligencer

Tomorrow will be the end of the Seattle Post Intelligencer at least as a print newspaper. It will be a sad day, not because the PI was that great a paper, it really wasn't, but because the PI has been here almost since the beginning.
When the PI first hit the streets in 1863, Lincoln was President, and Doc Maynard was still alive, and for that matter so were most of the guys Seattle's streets are named for, in fact those guys were Seattle in 1863, since only 250 people lived here.
Come Wednesday morning Seattle will be like most other big cities in this nation, it will have only one daily. That's a sign of the times and probably not a good one if you believe in Jefferson's viewpoint on the press.
If you go to the PI's web page or the Times' web page there are plenty of classic PI front pages from throughout the years. I thought I'd toss in my personal favorite. Why is it my favorite, no its not because of the Italian earthquake, its the picture of my parents on the front page. You see my dad was in a motorcycle accident on I-5, so the PI sent a reporter and photographer out to interview him, I remember thinking it was funny that it was a PI reporter, since we got Times.
RIP PI
Dan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful tribute. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. You should be a columnist. I appreciate your voice.

Dan Williams said...

As a side note, the photo was taken by Phil H. Webber, who worked at the PI for 50 years as a photographer from the 1950's thru early 2000's. He was their guy and did the big stories.