Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Final Thoughts On Prague and Other Events

Well as noted not too long ago here in America's Finest Blog, I went to Prague 15 years ago this month, and even though I've missed the anniversary of my return date, I still will provide you the readers of America's Fist Blog some final thoughts on the subject. I will first address though readers of America's Finest Blog that believe I should be making note of the 78th anniversary of the completion of US 101 around the peninsula, I would say it is a fine moment but I lack good photos of or from the highway. Others may say how can I call this America's Finest Blog without commenting on Ed Kennedy. Well I say this is America's Finest Blog because I will not wax on about Ed being expelled from Harvard , or his drunken whoring or the death of Mary Jo Kopechne, without mentioning his accomplishments. Nor will I mention only his accomplishments without a peep about his many flaws. I will however mention that "Ted" Kennedy was a long serving American politician from a famous political family and that "Ted" was not above being human.
Now back to Prague, what can I say that I really haven't already said, other than I miss that city every day and have for 15 years. I remember speaking with a Dutch fellow named Otto, while drinking in a Beer Garden, we both noted what was a general shyness that the Czechs had toward free market peoples, especially Americans (at least in 1994). It was as if they felt inferior to us and that they had nothing to offer. But they did, in the form of their beautiful city and their willingness to share it with us. The irony was not lost on either of us, that most the locals we ran into during our stays in the city would have switch places with us in a heartbeat, but not nearly as quickly as we would have traded with them.
Enjoy a couple more Prague photos and the only photo of me taken during my trip...Taken by my sister in her kitchen the night I returned to the States.
Dan

1 comment:

jerrie said...

I had no idea that you were so affected by that trip. You make me want to know more.