Monday, May 28, 2012

Something Crossed My Mind

Memorial Day is upon us, I do not want what I am going to say to sound crass.  Instead it is just a thought.  Memorial Day's origins lie with remembering those who served in the Civil War however it's scope has grown to be inclusive of all veterans who died while serving in the armed forces.  Which be is great.  The thought is, are we slighting other casualties of other conflicts by not giving them their own holiday or are we slighting the fallen of the Civil War by including those that died lesser conflicts such as in our police action in the Philippines?  Or is it a reflection of the reality that no matter how important the conflict, the American economic engine cannot stand for too many holidays.  Like I said just some thoughts, and by no means do I want to slight the ultimate sacrifice so many have made so I and my family can be free.  It is not something to be taken lightly and we all owe a debt to each fallen soldier.  

No comments: