Saturday, September 27, 2008

Cedar Falls

Cedar Falls, on the Cedar River, is where Seattle City Light's first hydroelectric project began. Back in the early 1900's it lent its' name to a company town for the workers at the dam and the watershed, which also was eventually located here. Prior to World War II, Cedar Falls was actually larger than than North Bend and Snoqualmie. As time marched on, the town began to wain and by the late 1950's very few people were left in town. It was at that time the city removed most of the building in the town. Some survived and until September 11, 2001, the town was still open to the public, even though it was within the city's watershed. Sadly due to the proximity of the town to the dam's powerhouse, it has been locked behind a gate, since that fateful day. Now Cedar Falls, is only accessible once a year by foot, it is a real loss to those of us who live in east county.
Today was the one time a year, the public was allowed on the streets of Cedar Falls, and as I wandered its' streets with my family, I thought of the loses we have occurred since 9-11. Such as, I cannot just take my son to this piece of living history anytime, nor can I take my son on a walk across the Grand Coulee Dam, like I did with my Grandfather. Then I thought about the current presidential race, and wondered if either candidate is the right man to bring America security, so we may have our lost freedoms restored. It is clear that we Americans' have once again settled for our presidential candidates. Neither man is ready to lead us, but these are the choices we allowed ourselves to be left with. One must wonder if we Americans' will ever again demand that the right man or woman make themselves available for run at the White House, or will we continue to just settle for the jerks our two party system, Oprah and cable news choose for us.
I'll shut up now.
Here are few pictures from Cedar Falls, including the falls and the cool old street lights in Cedar Falls itself.
Enjoy
Dan

No comments: