Monday, September 15, 2008

North to Alaska

Alaska is in the news a lot lately, with Ms. Pallin and all, so I thought I would pull out the photo of Chet Riley. The year is 1934 and Alaska consisted of only snow, mud and mosquitoes. It is in this year my Grandfather heeded Johnny Horton's call went north to do some clamming and some striking and some other stuff. One of the fellas he went north with was none other than Chet Riley. This is amusing to me since I call my sister-in-law Chet, however to the larger blog-reading public, this does not really matter too much. For them I can say that, Chet Riley was an obscure welterweight boxer from Tolt, WA (thanks Google). Ol' Chet was 0-2 in his illustrious career that that spanned nearly two full months. He lost to the like of Curly Lyons and Beecher Holford to name the complete list. Anyway Chet is standing, with riffle, on the side of snowy hill, with Mummy Island behind him. Well, that's the story of Chet Riley. I have included a couple of Alaska photos as well.
Enjoy

No comments: