Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Origins of the Lonely Hi-way Shot

I've always enjoyed the road, even as a small boy, I enjoyed being on the road. Mostly, I like seeing new places and watching the scenery. It wasn't until much later that I realized that the road itself was scenery worth watching, along with the forgotten and forlorn stuff that sits along side.
Today I came across these photos of the Vantage Highway, circa 1994, basically taken a week or two after moving to Ellensburg. It was here driving down that old highway to Vantage, that the stuff about the road being scenery really struck home. I realized that this road, at the time, was a time capsule, that it really was not much different that day, than it had been on the day traffic was re-directed to I-90. These aren't the greatest photos ever, but they are they genesis of my interest in photographing the road.
Enjoy
Dan

No comments: