Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Reflections

As I drove to see my dad yesterday, I went upon a familiar route, one I have been on a hundred times it seems. This time it seemed to drawn to some of my earliest memories of the area, back when we camped at Swauk Creek, and panned for gold, even once opening a mine shaft. I remembered walking down the middle Swauk Creek in August. And the grass of Ballard Hill golden yellow from the summer sun. And I remember the fun we had and our youth. Those days hidden in the corners of my mind until yesterday and now vivid and bittersweet.
Tonight's photo from a different trip but now just as vivid, Park Lake 1977, 1st grade and out of school early. I-90 under construction, oh how my boy would have loved that seen. Construction from Issaquah to the top of the pass. To the 6 year old mind, it all was so grand and so big, much more so, than later in life. And just how much fun it was for Dad to watch us have a good time. Something you just don't get until you are a parent.

1 comment:

jerrie said...

No, you don't get it until you are a parent. So true.