Friday, September 10, 2010

9/10/2001

9/10/2001
I remember that as a really nice warm September day. I had worked at spent the evening with my girlfriend down at Green Lake. On the way home I listened to the Mariners' game against the Angels. Around midnight or so I went to bed, not knowing that the world would fundamentally change by the time I got out of bed the next morning. I look back now and remember just how surreal the days after 9/11 were, but also how innocent were prior to 9/11. Airports were easy, the lines were at the baggage check, not the TSA checkpoint. You could wear shoes through the metal detectors. You could meet your party at the gate. And other things, gas was cheap, but housing wasn't and when you said, "George Bush," it really didn't mean anything, other than the 2000 election. Prior to 9/11, Americans were free and had freedom. Since then a great deal of freedom has been sacrificed to remain free. It will never be the same, but at least I know what it was to live in that old world, my boy won't.
That's sad.
Dan

No comments: