Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Great Northern Bridge

Back in December of 1917, the Great Northern Bridge over the Ship Canal was opened.  Of course it was made necessary by the creation of the Ship Canal, which opened in July of 1917.  This bridge is a dominating memory of my youth.  Fun family outings sometimes meant going to the locks and any trip to the locks meant that you saw the bridge.  I have rueful memories of the bridge, as a kid I was always disappointed by the bridge, it was always open. I never saw the thing down or let alone with a train crossing it.  It was a let down.  I remember going to the locks once in the early 1990's and the bridge was down and there was not one but two training crossing the bridge, that was really cool.  Then for a period I only saw the bridge down and sometimes with trains crossing, I almost wanted to see it open. 
About two years ago, I took my son out to see the locks and there was the bridge, I wonder if his memories of the locks will include the Great Northern Bridge.  That day the bridge was down and there was a training crossing it, we both enjoyed it.
Tonight, one photo of the bridge up and one photo of the bridge down.
Dan

No comments: